Stu Heller has been an attorney in the State of Washington for over 45 years. Since 1987 he has been the Principal Attorney at the Law Office of Stuart A. Heller and is now Of Counsel to the Desh International and Business Law firm. He has chaired the King County Bar’s Business Advisory Panel working with the UW Foster School of Business to annually assist a number of local minority-owned businesses, has been a volunteer attorney at the microenterprise legal clinic of Washington CASH (Washington Community Alliance For Self-Help aka Washington Attorneys Assisting Community Organizations aka Ventures aka Wayfind), and a member of the boards of the Puget Sound Symphony Orchestra, the Northwest Chamber Orchestra, Temple De Hirsch Sinai, and Bet Alef Synagogue. Stu lives in Leschi and has 3 children and 3 grandchildren. His practice areas include:
- Contracts and agreements
- Real estate
- General practice
- Business formulation/structures
Honors and Awards
- Avvo Top Contributor Award, Real Estate 2013
- Avvo Clients’ Choice Award, Real Estate, 2012
- Outstanding Service Award, Washington Lodging Association, 2002
His numerous articles have appeared in the PUGET SOUND BUSINESS JOURNAL; HOSPITALITY NEWS & COFFEE TALK; the WASHINGTON RESTAURANT ASSOCIATION NEWS UPDATE (now THE FRONT BURNER); the website of the WASHINGTON LODGING ASSOCIATION (www.wahospitality.org); NORTHWEST STIR, the E-zine for culinary professionals (at www.nwstir.com), King County Bar Association BAR BULLETIN and in his blogs at Hubpages, Blogspot, and WordPress.
As of January 1, 2009, Heller has fairly regularly appeared on page one of searches for “leasing lawyer” on Google, Yahoo, Bing, AOL Search, Dogpile and Ask.com.
- Washington State Bar Association, Member
- King County Bar Association, Member; Chair Business Advisory Panel
- Washington Lodging Association, Previous Member and Board Member
- Washington Restaurant Association, Previous Member
- South Asian Bar Association of Washington, Previous Member
- UW Law School, Moot Court Judge
Heller received his undergraduate degree from RENSSELAER POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE and his JD degree with Honors from GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL.
- 2012-Present: Serve as a moot court judge at the UW Law School
- 2015-2016: Supervising Attorney for the International Refugee Assistance Program (IRAP) working to try to get visas for seven Afghanis, the five adults of which had aided US efforts in their country.
- 2006 – present: Chair of the King County Bar Association’s Business Advisory Panel working with the UW Business School to annually assist 16-18 local minority-owned businesses
- 2006 – 2014: Board member, President and Vice President of the Puget Sound Symphony Orchestra
- Member of the WASHINGTON STATE, KING COUNTY and previously SOUTH ASIAN BAR ASSOCIATIONS
- Board (2000 – 2004) and Allied Member (2000 – 2015) of the WASHINGTON LODGING ASSOCIATION (received its 2002 award for outstanding contributions to the organization);
- Allied member of the WASHINGTON RESTAURANT ASSOCIATION (1995- 2015)
- Monthly volunteer at shelter for homeless women (2006 – 2014)
- Sponsored 3 Laotian refugee families each of which initially lived with his family
- Taught SBA class on business entities and their formation
- Elected to Federal Way Community and City Councils
- 9 years on Board of Temple De Hirsch Sinai in Seattle as Trustee, Secretary, parliamentarian, and chair of its bylaws and social action committees
- Long distance running (1988 – present), 27 marathons, approximately 20 half marathons
- Raising money for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society as a participant and as a Mentor in its Team In Training program preparing people for upcoming endurance runs such as the full and half marathons in Seattle, Phoenix and Orlando
Law Office of Stuart A. Heller, Seattle, WA 1988–Present
A private practice firm for various clients managing multimillion-dollar legal matters.
Principal Attorney / Owner
Draft, review, and negotiate contracts enabling purchases, sales, and leasing while effectively counseling executives in numerous areas of business law. Provide assistance to senior management in guiding acquisitions by recommending appropriate courses of action to assure compliance with assumed obligations and acquire necessary licenses. Proficiently collaborate on tax, securities, bankruptcy, litigation, and intellectual property efforts for best possible advancement of clients’ interests.
Red Robin International, Seattle, WA 1983–1988
A regional restaurant chain with, at the time, 47 corporate and franchised locations in ten states and Canada that achieved system-wide sales of $85 million.
Vice President / Secretary / General Counsel
Proficiently oversaw all facets of administration of legal department services and outside counsel while supervising daily activities of two direct reports. Provided documentation of real estate, construction, advertising, financing, confidentiality and vendor contracts as well as franchise licensing, registrations, and negotiations supporting U.S. and Canada locations and in accordance with unified brand image and standards. Protected brand’s intellectual property and supplied legal counsel on additional matters including regulatory compliance, board and strategic issues, and commercial and customer claims.
Manager, Environmental / Regulatory Affairs, Weyerhaeuser Company, Federal Way, WA 1978–1982
Special Assistant to the General Counsel, US Department of Commerce, Washington, DC 1977–1978
Environmental Counsel, Weyerhaeuser Company, Federal Way, WA 1973-1978