Litigation Practice Group Leader
Mark Phelps is the Litigation Practice Group Leader at Desh International and Business Law. He focuses his practice on real estate and litigation matters for the firm’s clients.
A lifelong Seattle area resident, Mr. Phelps has a long established local and national legal career. After graduating from Mercer Island High School, Pomona College and the University of Washington law school, he started in Portland with Gilbertson Brownstein in 1982. He was then litigation partner with Revelle Ries and Hawkins, P.S. for 9 years handling real estate and litigation matters.
He followed this with a 15-year service as Senior Counsel in the Litigation Department at Washington Mutual Bank. This included national case management and Washington and Oregon trial practice focusing on loan servicing, foreclosure, bankruptcy, loan origination, class actions, deposit, general lending and real property matters including all aspects of the “subprime meltdown. He was a multiple winner of the Department’s prestigious “Godzilla” award.
Following Washington Mutual, he ran a litigation office for Fidelity Title Insurance Company and worked at Leahy.ps and the Law Offices of James L. Strichartz, advising and handling litigation for condominium and homeowner association boards.
Mr. Phelps is admitted to practice law in the state and federal courts of Washington and Oregon. He serves his community by volunteering at the Open Door Legal Services Clinic and working with students at the Jubilee Reach Center.
General Commercial Litigation:
- Vendor-purchaser disputes
- Corporate governance disputes
- Commercial lending disputes
- Trade disputes
- Banking disputes
Real Estate Litigation:
- Lending & foreclosure
- Title & property disputes
- Leasing disputes
- Seller-purchaser disputes
- Construction disputes
- Home owners/condominium association disputes
- Oregon Bar (1982)
- Washington Bar (1983)
- Oregon Federal District Court (1983)
- Washington Western Federal District Court (1984)
- Washington Eastern Federal District Court (1994)
- King County Bar Association In House Counsel Committee, Chair (1996-7).
- King County Bar Association CLE Committee, Chair (1992-3)
- UW Law School, Moot Court Judge
- Speaker at various Washington Community Association Institute seminars
- Chair and speaker at various King County and East King County Bar Association real estate litigation CLE seminars
- Tutor at Jubilee Reach Center (2014-present)
- Volunteer with BelPres Church Youth Group (2014-present)
- Open Door Legal Services Clinic Volunteer (2010-2011,2017-present)
- Justice Advocate for International Justice Mission (2004-2012)
- BelPres Church Justice Team Chair (2004-2016)
- Advance Bellevue (1999-2000)
- Bellevue Schools Foundation Board of Directors (1992-96)
- BSF Grants Committee (1993-1999)
- BelPres Church Planning and Evaluation Committee (1999-2001)
- BelPres Church Urban Subcommittee (1999-2002)
- BelPres Church Senior Pastor Nomination Committee (2001-2)
- Personal Interests: Swimming, reading, hiking