Senior Counsel, Property Law
Candace’s primary focus is estate planning, with probate and trust litigation. She creates individual and family wealth protection and tax planning strategies designed to best protect the property her clients have worked so diligently to obtain–for their own benefit and that of their loved ones.
Having seen the results of non-planning or poor planning resulting in extensive litigation, Candace is particularly passionate about ensuring a person’s wishes are known, understood, and carried out after death and in times of incapacity.
A long-term litigator with substantial experience in all aspects of civil and criminal trial work, including jury trials, bench trials, and administrative hearings and appeals, Candace also practices real estate litigation and transactions.
- Washington (2010)
- Idaho (2006)
- California (2000, currently inactive)
- Estate planning: creating, amending, and reviewing individual and family wealth protection plans, including trusts, wills, powers of attorney for finance and healthcare, and healthcare directives; and consulting on the best legal strategies for providing for individual and family financial protection.
- Probate: handling uncontested and contested probates for estates with or without a valid will, while representing beneficiaries, heirs, personal representatives or creditors.
- Real estate: quiet title and foreclosure, residential and commercial lease drafting and litigation, landlord/tenant law, and creation and review of various real property documents.
Presentations and Publications
- Presenter, Wills: What You Need to Know, various venues, ongoing.
- Presenter, How Parents May Protect Their Children by Setting Up a Special Needs Trust, various venues, ongoing.
- Presenter, Estate Planning for Entrepreneurs, beginning Autumn 2017.
- Presenter, Why You Need Asset Protection, beginning Autumn 2017.
- Author, Foreign Nationals Need Valid Wills, Puget Sound Business Journal, July 18, 2016, at A5.
Presenter, Trusts and Estates, “Bridging the Gap,” King County Bar Association Conference, 2014.
- Contributor/Assistant to the Editor for legal publications by Gerry Beyer and Kenneth R. Redden: “Teaching Materials on Estate Planning, Second Edition,” 2000 (West Group American Casebook Series); and “Modern Dictionary for the Legal Profession, Third Edition,”2001 (William S. Hein & Co., Inc.)
Commitment to Community
- Current Member, Kiwanis Club of Seattle.
- Pro Bono: Volunteer Attorney with King County Review Calendar (2012-2015).
- Former member/Board of Directors, Second Chance Animal Adoption, Inc., Bonners Ferry, Idaho.
- Santa Clara University School of Law, J.D., 2000
- University of California Santa Cruz, BA, Environmental Studies, 1995.